Bleeding Purple

Monday, April 1, 2013

Our alma matter is very important to Josh and I, being as how we both met at and graduated from James Madison University. There was no doubt in our minds that we wanted to somehow highlight our love and deep ties to JMU at our wedding. And what better way to do so then by having the JMU Road Dawg make an appearance!

The JMU Road Dawg is a traveling statue that has been to hundreds of family get togethers, weddings, and trips all throughout the country. Then I found out the worst news ever (at least at that moment in time): the Road Dawg had already been booked for the weekend of our wedding! I am pretty sure I was depressed for a few days, but knew we could find other ways to show off our purple and gold pride.

I began searching around until I found the most perfect JMU Duke Dog cake topper. Ever. I emailed Josh right away; of course, his response was something along the lines of "I am at work. I will look at it tonight." After he saw it, I knew he immediately had a "We need to have that" feeling. It was a little on the pricier end of what I ever pictured myself spending on a cake topper (I don't even think I was planning to have a cake topper now that I think of it), but it was definitely worth it. After finding this, we decided that we wanted our cake table to be JMU-themed and also Vega-themed.

JMU Duuukes.

Photo wood blocks and an "All You Need Is Love...And A Dog" sign.


If you're looking to do a similar cake topper for your wedding, the Etsy shop that I purchased mine from has every college and university you can think of. And if you don't see it, they can custom make one for you. Just keep in mind that you need to place your order at least 2-3 months in advance of when you'd want to receive it. You can customize just about everything, too - the groom's suit, wedding flowers, wedding dress color, accessories, etc. I paid extra to also have the base painted white, as normally it would be a natural wood color.

Mr. and Mrs. Duke Dog on top of our simple two-tiered wedding cake.

Wooden crates, cake stands, and white hydrangeas in mason jars for our cake table.

And to top it all off - Josh's brother secretly booked the actual JMU Duke Dog mascot to make a guest appearance at our wedding. We had no idea and we were both so surprised (and I am impossible to surprise). Definitely one of the most memorable moments from our wedding!

JMU alumni!

2 comments :

  1. Where did you get the wooden crates?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the unfinished wooden crates from Jo-Ann Fabric and Crafts (inexpensive, especially if you use one of their 40% off coupons each time!) - and just used a wood stain color of my choice. And the whitewashed one in the middle of the display is from Home Goods!

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground